When I started my speed was a terrible and I wasn’t any good at QWERTY .
Now my speed is much better, but still not great. I feel much more comfortable with this keyboard. My fingers remain on the home keys most of the time. The main thing is that I feel comfortable enough to do my job.
I have not reached my goal of 100wpm with at least 90% accuracy. I have not practiced much though it is something I’m hoping to do more of.
The next update on this will be more about my goal moving forward.
The first hurdle I faced was switching in December, what a weird time to switch right? I was supposed to be scaling down and focus on relaxation, but I thought the switch to be such a huge challenge, that It wouldn’t matter when I did it.
The second hurdle: I went cold turkey. I simply switched, printed out the new layout, gave it a solid glance and memorized all the new positions and kept it next to my desk. I watched my typing speed go from 35 WPM(words per minute) to 9. And my frustration levels go into the red.
I started to use this at work immediately. I warned my team mates and just jumped in. A good thing this sort of thing is encouraged at Automattic.
The two things that helped me the most during the first month was Type Fu and a supportive team.
With Type Fu you repeatedly type similar phrases until you “master the keys. At this point, you move on to the next level with more variation. It also has a setting to select the keys you battle with and only focus on them.
My current speed is 30 WPM. I use it as my default layout and I’m way more confident than I was a month ago. My main take away is that, if I can go from 9 -30WPM in a month then I’ll be more productive as time goes on.
I hope to increase this as I continue to practice every working day.